August 28, 2008

My First Assignment

The first assignment for my Technical Journal is about technology.
I'm going to compare laptops versus desktops and what are the advantages and disadvantages for each?

First I want to start with the desktop computer. Desktop advantages are that it is very standard and therefore more affordable and available. Desktops have several expansion slots and most laptops only have one. Desktops can be upgraded more and better than most laptops. Desktop disassembly is also much easier. Because desktops run by cord they energy consumption and battery life is not a factor. But there is the problem of the fact that if the power goes out you would lose all progress since last save. Desktops are also not portable. Because of arrangement of some desktop certain health problems can develop such as posture problems, strain injuries, and certain eyestrain problems.

Link for more information on desktops: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_computer#Comparison_with_laptops

Next I will discuss laptops compared desktops. The laptops largest advantage and probably best aspect is its portability which allows it to go anywhere and be acessable to more places. Another advantage is the fact that it runs on battery life which lets you move away from wall outlets and you can keep progress through power outages. A big disadvantage of the Laptop is it's durability. Because of its small and closely built design it cannot take alot of physical damage. Components of the Laptop such as the Batteries, Hinges, power jacks, and power cords may deteriote with use over time. These components are typically expensive to replace. Spills on a laptop can be extremely damaging to a laptop while virtually harmless to a desktop. Also you might drop the laptop which can result in damage repair costs worth more than the actual value of the laptop.

link for more information on laptops:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptop#Advantages

These are some of the biggest differences between laptops and desktops whicha re also some of the biggest advantages and disadvantages for each and both should be thought about and looked at before you make a decision to make either one.

6 comments:

Operating Systems said...

I have to agree that laptops are the better choice rather than desktops

Akio Shinigami said...

Greetings, I am Cook-A I am who I am and there can be no better information than this. Computers are something that have begun to take over our world and no one wants to swept away by the current. This course was suggested to me so i took it nothing more and nothing less. Although I must say doing work on a computer is much easier than paper.
In this class I have begun a project that reasearches the invasion of a virus into the ISS (International Space Station) Do you have any ideas on how I can approve this article if so I would like to know (Three or more would be appreciated).

Island Boy said...

I also agree a laptop is much better they are much more portable and most have more capability than a desktop.

Akio Shinigami said...

I have to agree that both laptops and desktops have both good and bad points. Like you said desktops are more resilent against damages and cost less. However with their portableness laptops have begun to become something that are seen anywhere and everywhere. Personally I perfer desktops just for the solid feel of the technology.

Kristina said...

Hello, this is KrisTina, updating you on what you've earned for this assignment. You have completed the assigned posts, have left two or more substantial comments, and have received full credit for this assignment.

Kristina said...

Hey, this is Tina. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was reading your post comparing laptops to computers and it reminded me of my sister. I'm a desktop girl, personally, because Laptops are too sensitive. My sister's gone through two of them, from overheating them to the point of melting their charger cords, to having batteries die not responding to charges. Good job so far.